Restore Teeth Suffering from Decay

FillingsYour Corona dentist may suggest a tooth-colored filling if your tooth develops a cavity. This restorative treatment offers an effective and efficient method of repairing your tooth, while providing a beautiful finish. Because your cavity will only continue to progress, we recommend visiting us right away so we can treat the cavity with a filling.

Why Do I Need A Filling?

You need a filling because plaque has eroded your tooth tissue. Plaque, a bacteria-filled substance that feeds on carbohydrates in your mouth, adheres to the surfaces of your teeth. Even with effective brushing and flossing, some plaque may remain. As the plaque feeds, it release acids that eat away at your tooth’s enamel – or outermost tissue layer. Over time, the breakdown of tissue results in a small hole called a cavity. This hole will continue to grow, leaving your tooth susceptible to bacterial invasion and breakage. A filling will remove decayed tissue, fill the opening in your tooth, and return you to oral health and comfort.

What Can I Expect from a Filling?

We will begin by numbing your tooth and surrounding tissue. Your dentist will then remove the decayed tissue and debris from the cavity. Once the opening is clean, your doctor will fill the open space with a synthetic resin material called composite. Because we can color-match composite to your surrounding tissue, this type of filling is often called a “tooth-colored filling” or a “white filling.” This replaces the missing tissue, restores the structural integrity of your tooth, and offers a seamless finish.

Should You See Your Corona Family Dentist For Fillings?

Tooth-colored fillings offer an effective solution for most patients who suffer from tooth decay. Unlike amalgam fillings, composite is safe for both pregnant women and individuals allergic to metal. However, if your cavity is too big for a filling, your doctor may suggest a dental crown, inlay, or onlay to save your tooth. Or, in the case of a cavity joined by an infection, you may require a root canal treatment.